Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Interview with the Mission President -- I passed!

My new best friend...NOT!


Bauru District: (left to right) Elder Pinheiro, Moraes, Villela, Neves, Hair (our district leader) and me


This week was even more exciting than last week…ok, not really.

We are having a difficult time finding people again.

The Adão family is playing hard-to-get, and saying that they are not prepared. When then? They feel like they have to be perfect. People, it’s called FAITH! I shared a scripture in Acts 2:38-42, where Peter gave 3 commandments: repent, be baptized and receive the Holy Ghost. In that same day, 3000 people were baptized. Now that’s faith. Unfortunately, the scripture didn’t really help them.

We had lunch with a member that told us a story about when he was a kid. He told us that he was so poor that he used to eat paper notebooks just to take the edge off the hunger. I cannot even begin to imagine hunger on that level. He did not despair, and went on to make something of himself, and is rich now. Everyone has a chance.

Our Mission President came out to Bauru and interviewed all of the missionaries in the area. When it came time for my interview, we really only talked briefly. He asked how everything was going and then asked about what I was learning out of the book “Preach My Gospel,” and to share something from my study journal. I talked about Chapter 8, using our time wisely, and how we need to leave our area stronger than we found it. He asked me how long I had been on my mission, to which I replied, “Seven months.” Then he began to compliment me. He told me that I was already speaking very well, that I know the doctrine, how to plan, and that I’m ready to grow on my mission. I feel like I’ve already progressed so much.

Elder Villela and I talked to a guy on the street who asked how we are saved. We told him through various works, like baptism and such. He told us that we need to only accept Christ through our words. We shared John 3:5 about being baptized of the water and the Spirit to enter into the kingdom of God. He told us that water means the word, or the bible. Uhhh, good luck with that one. We left him soon afterwards, but pretty sure that in Acts 8, when Phillip meets the eunuch reading the bible they didn’t go descend into the “word” to get baptized, he was already holding the word.

Pineapple is good (see pic below -- and yes, I ate the whole thing! The end. Transfers are next week...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment