Monday, December 14, 2009

No Transfer -- But I'm Working Out the Kinks!

This week was a super roller coaster. Wednesday I found out about transfers.... I was not transferred (which was my preferred choice), but guess what? Neither was Elder da Silva! I almost fainted when I heard that there were no transfers. I just need to endure another 6 weeks, and then its pretty much guaranteed that Elders Carter, Galdino and da Silva will be transferred out since they have been here for so long, and I will stay here because someone needs to know the area and current investigators. I hope I can last -- imagine a person that you absolutely can’t stand.... and then imagine living with them 24 hours every day for 3 months – constantly being within sight and sound. Yes... pity me. BUT, I will survive, I’m determined to somehow make the best out of this situation. After this experience, I will be the most patient person in the world.

Elder Carter and Elder Galdino also were not transferred. That is a blessing.

I have found something that makes me incredibly happy here in Brazil. All houses here have a gated front yard, and all people have at least 2 dogs, all of which hate missionaries. I find incredible joy out of taunting them, and trying to get my shoe bit through the fence. You would have to be here to fully understand. Random note about Brazilian dogs: even the dogs eat rice and beans... serious!

Cool story: last week at church there was a family that we´d never seen before. Elder Carter and I visited them later in the week. The guy, Rafael is a member, but stopped going to church when he was 11 (23 now). He had a dream a few days before Sunday. In his dream he was sitting on a wall. On one side was the church and the members, he distinctly saw the name of the church, “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.” And on the other side were his old friends that were bad influences in his life. Needless to say he came to church the next day. His wife will be getting baptized in January.

There was also a sweet storm this week. For those that have seen the movie, “Independence Day,” remember when the space ships are rolling in and the land beneath them slowing begins to darken as the clouds surrounding their ships block out the sun. Same thing happened here, minus the space ships. This enormous black swirling oval shaped cloud came rolling in, it was sweet. We had to run to a member’s house to wait out what the storm delivered.

Storm Approaching -- Run for Cover!


País - Country (emphasis on the ´i´, pie-eece)
Pais - Parents (pronouced pie-z)
Paz - Peace (pronouced pie-z)

Paz to my pais from the país of brazil.

Tchao,
Elder Titus

Note from Derek’s mom: Along with the blog information, Elder Titus usually sends me another email each Monday, which contains more personal stuff. I thought I would share something from his email that I received today:

“Miracles are happening mom. See picture. The day after the picture of my feet was taken, they were back to normal. At that moment of the picture I can’t describe to you how hard is was to walk. The pain was in the bones and massaging was useless. Before then, I was determined to let it take its course hoping the blisters would become calluses, but that night I had had enough. I prayed (begged) for relief. Next day, sem dor (no pain). On the tip of one toe* I have scabs, meaning that it was bleeding. I never felt it. That next day, the blisters were gone. I would like to see a doctor explain that. (*notice blister even at the tip of the toe to the left of the big toe, left side of photo)

Blisters!

Also, at the MTC, I lost all of my leg strength. I sat all day for 2 months. I have yet to have any, any, pain/sore muscles in my legs. Every day we walk 12-15 miles, and that one day we walked 18, all on uneven hard pavement – yet, no pain. The next day I feel fresh.”

(Back to mom: I feel blessed that Heavenly Father is looking out for my son, and despite the rough conditions and sometimes unpleasant circumstances, he is adapting, and doing well. Thank you all for your support and friendship!)

No comments:

Post a Comment