Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My First Week in Assis...

Elder McComb, Miria's mom, Miria and me

Homemade PIZZA!!!

...and CAKE with ICING! Happy Birthday Elder McComb!

What’s up?

Good quality week here in Assis (pronounced “Ah-sees”). Elder McCombs is “bom demais!” He is an excellent companion. And I had at least 4 or 5 people this week ask me if I'm Brazilian. I can't tell you how good it is to hear that. I really think I've got the language down now.

Started out the week with the baptism of Miria. She was tough to convince, but she did it. She had failed the baptismal interview the week before, because the district leader didn’t handle the interview very well. It was his first time interviewing. He asked way too detailed questions like, “Do you believe that God is our Heavenly Father?” That IS one of the questions, but then he asked, “Why?” So Miria felt insecure. Any way, the district leadership was switched to Elder Dunn, and she passed the “re-test.” It was Elder McComb’s first baptism, (he didn’t baptize last transfer). He was stoked! It was cold water too!

Actually, we went through several “firsts” this week together. His first Brazilian churro, first baptism, first bowl of açai berries, and first pig ear ever eaten. Haha. Good times!

After the baptism, I made pizza. That's the first time in over 5 months. I made it in the shape of a monkey face. It tasted awesome! Life is good.

We don’t have any potential baptisms this week, but Elder Gibbons (arrived with me in the mission) was here about 3 months ago and baptized a family (Rosimeire (mom), and Guilherme (son)). But he didn’t baptize Mery Ellen, the other daughter (20-ish years old), because she wanted more time. Now she’s ready, and set for the 19th. They live in a nearby city, so we have to travel a bit. Rosimeire has a brother too, but so far, I’ve only met his daughter.

Also, there’s another lady, Marlene, and her 4 kids that should get baptized before I leave Assis, but no fixed date yet.

It was Elder McComb’s birthday yesterday. We made a sweet cake, thanks to the package his mom sent. Well, they do have cake mix here, but it was the icing that did it in for me. Ohhhhh sooo good!

Well, that’s about it for now.

Peace from down south,

Elder Titus

No comments:

Post a Comment