Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Spiritual Farewell to President and Sister Leal

A farewell photo with President and Sister Leal. They will be greatly missed!

A peek at downtown Assis

My new brother, Elder Galdino -- seriously, my mom has adopted him!

Meryellen wants to wait a little more to be baptized, but Marlene and family are looking good. We took away her coffee and gave her this substitute called Cevada that tastes like coffee but isn’t. We all had to drink it, and it’s gross. I have avoided it up until now, but since we were raving about it, we couldn’t get away without tasting it...yuck! Her family is so cute. I just figured out this week why they are so united. The little girl Isabela (11) has cancer, but at the moment, it is in remission. I always wondered why she wore that hat…

I gave the Gospel Principles lesson on Sunday. And without any preparation because President Jorge, our branch president, didn’t come to church. It went well though. Definitely guided by the Spirit in what to say.

Last Friday was good at our zone conference. It was super spiritual. All zone conferences have a theme and this time it was about Jesus Christ. This last transfer we have been studying His attributes in order to know how to better apply them in our own lives. And it was during this transfer that I discovered a talk by Dallin H. Oaks, called “The Challenge to Become,” that is amazing! I would challenge all of you to read this awesome talk which can be found by clicking here. We had a two hour long testimony meeting with all the missionaries in the area. When it was my turn, I testified about this very talk, and how we have an amazing opportunity to apply and develop these attributes on the mission, and how I’m excited to progress. One of the parts of the talk that I liked, I shared with everyone, summarizing it like this in my testimony: “It doesn’t matter what we do in this life, but what is more important is what we’ve become. We can have all of the gospel knowledge in the world, but if we have failed to apply deeply these Christ-like attributes throughout our lives, (charity, humility, patience, diligence......) we have accomplished NOTHING in this life.” I also suggested how we need to strive to do our best, and how I intend to do better. When we apply these attributes it is then that our testimonies grow and we grow closer to our Heavenly Father. These were all honest testimonies, too, not phoney ones. There is no other way. Then President and Sister Leal both bore huge testimonies after everyone else had a chance.

I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior! I know that He suffered for our sins so that we don’t have to. All we need to do is do what He says and His grace will take effect in our eternal salvation. He loves us! Why else would He go through all that He did? He has always showed His love for us, and continues to show it. One way is by calling prophets in these latter-days. How privileged we are to live in the last days where the fullness of the gospel has been restored. Let’s show Christ that we are truly grateful for what He has done for us and continues to do for us, by becoming more like Him. And by doing so, we will figure out what it’s all about.

Have a great week!

Elder Titus

No comments:

Post a Comment